Additive Manufacturing Engineer
Additive Industries is dedicated to bringing metal additive manufacturing for functional parts from lab to fab by offering a modular 3D printing system and a seamlessly integrated information platform to high-end and demanding industrial markets. With substantially improved reproducibility, productivity, and flexibility, Additive Industries redefines the business case for additive manufacturing applications in aerospace, automotive, medical technology and high-tech equipment.
We are looking for an Additive Manufacturing Engineer to support the Additive Industries’ Process & Application Development team. The Additive Manufacturing Engineer takes care of preparing, building, post-processing and quality inspection of test specimen and functional industrial parts. With your CAD knowledge you evaluate and optimize parts for Additive Manufacturing, prepare job files and execute them on the MetalFAB1 systems. After printing you take care of post-processing the parts, including logistics when it is outsourced. Furthermore you support in the development of materials processing sets by performing materials characteristics measurements on the laboratory test equipment. All steps in the manufacturing process are carefully logged and results are shared with the team.
An important aspect of your role is to manage the MetalFAB1 and test facilities of the Process & Application Development team. You will take care of maintenance of all equipment, and control stock of materials, supplies and spare parts.
With your in-depth knowledge of the MetalFAB1 system you will support the Customer Lifecycle Support team with remote diagnosis of MetalFAB1 systems. In occasional cases, you will provide support in resolving print process related issues at our customer locations.
The ingredients for a successful performance are in sum:
- Creating and expanding knowledge of 3D metal printing according the selective laser melting process
- Structured development, reporting and sharing of part manufacturing strategies by determining materials characteristics and equipment settings
- Operating and supervising the MetalFAB1 systems, monitor print process, reliability, analyse deviations and propose improvement opportunities.
- Managing and operating materials post-processing equipment (support removal, heat treatment, cutting, milling, grinding) both with in-house equipment as well with external suppliers
- Managing and maintaining the test systems and facilities to achieve 24/7 availability and printing (cleaning, planning, stock keeping of supplies, and consumables)
- Maintaining and operating the Process & Application Development laboratory equipment
- Defining, executing and reporting of materials characteristics quality testing and printing of actual parts. Shares and discusses the results with the Additive Industries’ team members
- Evaluating end-user test parts in design for additive manufacturing, prepare and execute part printing on the test systems
- Supporting R&D in the development and Beta testing of new MetalFAB1 modules
- Occasionally provide support in print process related issues at end-users
- Training of interns in the use of laboratory equipment
- Execute the laser safety officer role
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time
The Additive Manufacturing Engineer reports to the Manager Process & Application Development
Knowledge and experience
- BSc in mechanical engineering or similar, preceded by an intermediate vocational education (MBO) in metal engineering and machining techniques
- Preferably 2-3 years’ experience in 3D metal printing
- Experience in optimizing 3D metal printing processes
- Proven experience in 3D CAD drawing (Nx, Solidworks or similar)
- Experience in equipment programming and working with coordinate systems
- Experience with different machining techniques
- Materials knowledge of metals and alloys
- Defining and optimizing 3D metal print jobs with Magics or AutoFab is considered an advantage
- Proven structured and analytical way of working preferably in a laboratory or mechanical workshop
- Knowledge of different measurement techniques
Additive Industries is a young and fast growing professional organization. We have developed a strong pragmatic team attitude in which we work and experiment together in achieving our joint goals. We are looking for a broad range of people with diverse backgrounds to join our organization. We have formulated the following personal traits contributing to our company culture:
- Open, self-confident and result oriented
- Driven by technical challenges, eager to learn and entrepreneurial
- Proven team player who takes ownership
- Professional and structured ‘Fun to work with’