Additive Manufacturing Equipment Engineer
Additive Industries is dedicated to bringing metal additive manufacturing for functional parts from lab to fab by offering a modular 3D printing system and a seamlessly integrated information platform to high-end and demanding industrial markets. With substantially improved reproducibility, productivity, and flexibility, Additive Industries redefines the business case for additive manufacturing applications in aerospace, automotive, medical technology and high-tech equipment.
We are looking for an Additive Manufacturing Equipment Engineer to support the Additive Industries’ Process & Application Development team. The Additive Manufacturing Equipment Engineer manages the MetalFAB1 systems and test facilities of the Process & Application Development team. You will take care of operation, maintenance and repair of all additive manufacturing, laboratory and test equipment, the control of the stock of materials, supplies and manage the planning of all activities on the MetalFAB1 systems.
An important aspect of your role is of preparing, building, post-processing and quality inspection of test specimen and functional industrial parts. Starting with the preparation of the job files you will then execute them on the MetalFAB1 systems. After printing you will take care of post-processing the parts, including logistics when this is outsourced. All steps in the manufacturing process are carefully logged and results are shared with the team. Furthermore you support Process Engineers in the development of materials processing sets by performing materials characteristics measurements.
With your in-depth knowledge of the MetalFAB1 system you will support the Customer Lifecycle Support team with remote diagnosis of MetalFAB1 systems installed at customer locations. Occasionally you will provide support in resolving print process related issues on-site.
The ingredients for a successful performance are in sum:
- Operating and supervising the MetalFAB1 systems, monitor print process, reliability, analyse deviations and propose improvement opportunities.
- Managing and operating materials post-processing equipment (support removal, heat treatment, cutting, milling, grinding) both with in-house equipment as well as with external suppliers
- Managing and maintaining the test systems and facilities to achieve 24/7 availability and printing (cleaning, planning, stock keeping of supplies and consumables)
- Maintaining and operating the Process & Application Development laboratory and test equipment
- Creating and expanding knowledge of 3D metal printing according the selective laser melting process
- Defining, executing and reporting of materials characteristics quality testing and printing of actual parts. Shares and discusses the results with the Additive Industries’ team members
- Supporting R&D in the development and Beta testing of new MetalFAB1 modules
- Training of interns in the use of laboratory equipment
- Execute the laser safety officer role
- Occasionally provide support in print process related issues at end-users
- Available for consignment duty to support the printing process during evenings or weekends
The Additive Equipment Engineer reports to the Manager Process & Application Development
Knowledge and experience
- MBO (Vocational training) level-4 or HBO (University of Applied Science) education in mechanical engineering and machining techniques or similar
- MBO with 4-5 years’ or HBO with 2-3 years’ experience, preferably in 3D metal printing
- Experience in equipment programming and working with coordinate systems
- Experience with different machining techniques
- Basic materials knowledge of metals and alloys
- Defining and optimizing 3D metal print jobs with Magics or AutoFab is considered an advantage
- Proven structured and analytical way of working preferably in a laboratory or mechanical workshop
- Knowledge of different measurement techniques
Additive Industries is a young and fast growing professional organization. We have developed a strong pragmatic team attitude in which we work and experiment together in achieving our joint goals. We are looking for a broad range of people with diverse backgrounds to join our organization. We have formulated the following personal traits contributing to our company culture:
- Open, self-confident and result oriented
- Driven by technical challenges, eager to learn and entrepreneurial
- Proven team player who takes ownership
- Professional and structured ‘Fun to work with’