AM Metallurgist (UK)
Additive Industries is dedicated in bringing metal additive manufacturing for functional parts from lab to fab by offering a modular 3D printing system and a seamlessly integrated information platform to high-end and demanding industrial markets. With substantially improved reproducibility, productivity, and flexibility, Additive Industries redefines the business case for additive manufacturing applications in aerospace, automotive, medical technology and high-tech equipment.
Additive Industries is looking for an AM Metallurgist to join the UK Process and Application centre team. In this multidisciplinary team, you participate in the development of material processing sets and applications for an advanced industrial 3D printer. Your challenge will be the understanding all aspects of the materials used in the manufacturing process.
Additive Industries successfully launched their industrial metal Additive Manufacturing system, the MetalFAB1. To support our customers, we develop the printing process for different materials and new applications, and provide solutions for simulation and process monitoring of the printing process. You are responsible for the development of stable print process parameters for a number of materials.
Together with our Senior Process Engineer you will set up a test plan for a specific material. You will not only define process test to perform, but also how you will evaluate the results, like material characteristics and geometric precision. You then execute this test plan by operating the 3D metal printer to print samples, and test the printed samples in accordance to the expected specifications.
You will analyse the resulting test data, and document all performed tests in a Test Report. Based on the result of the tests you propose new tests that will lead to a robust process parameter set. Furthermore you discuss possible improvements with our design team and help to implement these in our MetalFab1 system.
The ingredients for a successful performance are:
- Characterizing microstructure, defects and properties of AM materials.
- Establishing material specifications and quality for AM materials.
- Establish procedures for powder handling and recycling.
- Establish material post processing techniques, including surface finishing and heat treatments for additively manufactured components
- Work with the process and application engineers to produce characterization techniques required to support component production.
The AM Metallurgist reports to the UK P&AD Centre Manager
Knowledge and experience
- Bachelor or Master in Material Science, Physics or Mechanical Engineering
- PhD in Material Science
- Experience with conducting experimental research
- Pragmatic and hands-on mentality
- Analytically strong and systematic problem-solving mentality
- Experience with laser metal processing is a plus
- 0-3 years practical experience with material analysis
Additive Industries is a young and quickly maturing professional organization. We have developed a strong pragmatic team mentality in which we work and experiment together to achieve common goals. We are looking for a wide diversity of people coming from different backgrounds to join our organization. We have formulated the following personal traits contributing to our professional mentality:
- Open, confident and result driven
- Driven by technical challenges, eager to learn and entrepreneurial
- Proven Team player who takes ownership
- Professional and structured
- ‘Fun to work with’
Preferred start date according to our hiring agenda: October 2019